International Trade Law
Our attorneys have established themselves as the pre-eminent international trade attorneys in the region acting on behalf of local and foreign clients which includes multinationals, governments and institutions. The international trade law department focuses on all aspects of trade.
We have an international trade law practice that is specifically equipped, experienced and engaged to navigate your business interests through this complex legal and regulatory environment.
Our professionals specialize in the following areas of international trade law:
- Trade remedies - initiating or defending actions against dumping (low prices), countervailing measures (subsidies), safeguards (surge of imports).
- Transactional and regulatory advice on the importation or exportation of goods, services and investment.
- Advice on establishing a presence in new markets, specifically Africa.
- Commercial agreements giving effect to trade relations.
- Related matters pertaining to South Africa's International Trade Administration Commission (ITAC) such as tariff investigations and tariff amendments (increase or reduction in customs duty), customs classifications and rebate applications.
- Interpretation of and advice on the multilateral trade regime of the WTO, African regional trading agreements (such as SACU, SADC , COMESA, AfCFTA) and Free Trade Agreements (such as the SA-EU TDCA or the SADC-EU EPA).
- Import duties or tariffs: valuations, tariff planning, duty at source, rebates, drawbacks, sourcing of raw materials (rules of origin), Advice on trade law, the economic aspects of trade law, diplomacy and policy formulation to the public and private sectors in developing and least developed countries. In this regard our location lends a specific focus on the African subcontinent.
- Lobbying and trade negotiations advice.
- Advice on agricultural trade.